Bookmark This Page
Return Home PageMail to Friend
OR Use 1 chocolate cake mix following box directions for 2 round layers.
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup solid all-vegetable shortening
- 1-1/2 cups buttermild or sour milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- One bowl of Buttercream Chocolate Frosting (Recipe below)
- Spider Web Frosting (Recipe below)
Directions for cake from scratch:
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, soda, salt and baking powder in large mixing bowl.
- Add in eggs, shortening, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat on low for 1 minute scraping the sides of the bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, scraping occasionally.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely before frosting.
Directions for frosting cake:
- Frost cooled cake with Buttercream Frosting.
- Spider Web
- Immediately pipe or drizzle Spider Web in 4 or 5 circles on top of the cake.
- Using a knife or wooden pick, immediately draw 8 to 10 lines from the center to the edges of the cake at regular intervals.
- Garnish with plastic or made-from-candy spiders.
Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
Beat butter, add sugar and cocoa alternating with milk. Beat to a spreading consistency. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups.
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 2-2/3 Cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 Cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 4-6 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
Spider Web Recipe:
- 1/2 Cup white baking chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable shortening (DO NOT use butter, margarine, oil or spread)
- Place chips and shortening in a small heavy sealable plastic bab. Microwave on high (100%) 45 seconds. Squeeze mix gently. If necessary, microwave an additional 10-15 seconds. Squeeze until chips and shortening are blended. Make a small diagonal cut on one bottom corner and squeeze onto cake as instructed.
For All Your Cooking Needs
- Cake Pans
- Cake Decorating
- Utensils & Gadgets
- Party Supplies
- Helpful Links