Bookmark This Page
Return Home PageMail to Friend
- 1-1/2 Cups confectioners powdered sugar (it must be powdered sugar)
- 1 Cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 Teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 Cups sifted flour (regular flour)
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
Making the Jam Stick
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sifted powdered sugar - then mix in the egg until everything is smooth. (This is a very soft dough so if you don't sift the ingredients you may have some lumps.)
- Add in the flavorings. Next, mix in (by hand) the sifted dry ingredients until completely blended. Do not over mix. If the dough is too soft to handle, chill for about one hour before forming cookie sticks.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- Bake on lightly greased cookie pan for 8 minutes (Do not over bake or they will be hard. This cookie does not get brown or golden but stays a light color)
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pan. Glaze if desired.
When the dough can be handled, form into balls about the size of a golf ball. Between your palms roll into a length of approximately 2 inches. Lay on cookie sheet and flatten to a width of approximately 3/4 - 1 inch. (Dough can also be rolled out and cut into any shape.)
- Make a slight indentation down the middle (careful not to go all the way through the dough or your filling will leak out) and then fill with about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of jam. If you like sweeter cookies use more jam or for a less sweet cookie you can glaze use less jam.
- Bake as directed.
- These cookies can be iced with a glaze of powdered sugar (approx. 1-1/2 cups), 1/4 teaspoon almond flavor, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and enough water to get the consistency of glaze that will just 'drizzle' easily. (You don't want it too runny or it will make the cookie soggy.)
- This recipe makes about 24 large jam stick cookies or 36 small jam stick cookies. Store in an air tight container. Also, you can half this recipe and it works just as well.
For All Your Cooking Needs
- Cake Pans
- Cake Decorating
- Utensils & Gadgets
- Party Supplies
- Helpful Links