Bookmark This Page
Return Home PageMail to Friend
Baklava - Greek Pastry
- 1 one-pound package of filo pastry (defrosted)
- 1 ½ Cup chopped nuts - Walnuts, pecans, almonds - or mixture
- 1 lb butter (clarified)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Optional method: Place 2-3 sheets of filo flat and brush with butter. Place a generous tablespoon of nut mixture in a single line across the filo sheet and roll like a jelly roll. Place the rolled pastry into the butter pan. Repeat the process until all of the filo sheets have been rolled. Brush the tops of the rolls generously with butter. Cut through the rolls with a sharp knife so that each roll is cut into thirds. Bake as directed above. This tastes just as good and makes for easier handling.
- In a bowl combine the chopped nuts and spices.
- Brush the bottom and sides of a pan (11" x 9") with melted butter.
- Place a layer of 20 sheets of filo in the pan, brushing butter between every 4 sheets.
- Alternate the nut mixture with 2 sheets of filo brushed with butter until you have 6-7 layers of the nut mixture.
- Finish with 20 layers of filo brushing each layer with butter.
- Brush the top layer generously with the butter.
- Using a sharp knife cut into even diagonal pieces.
- In a preheated oven, bake at 300° for about 1 hour until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before pouring the syrup over the baklava.
- 1-¼ Cup sugar
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 Medium sized lemon (sliced)
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon OR 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 Cup honey
- Combine the sugar, water and lemon slices and bring to a boil
- Add in the cinnamon and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add honey and simmer for an addition 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool to lukewarm before pouring over the hot baklava.
Allow baklava to sit in the pan for several hours before serving.
For All Your Cooking Needs
- Cake Pans
- Cake Decorating
- Utensils & Gadgets
- Party Supplies
- Helpful Links