Bookmark This Page
Return Home PageMail to Friend
Chicken and Dumplings
- Cooked chicken cut to bite-sized (1 to 1-1/2 cups chicken.)
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 - 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium-sized onion sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup Morrison's Country Gravy mix (or your favorite white gravy mix)
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups large noodles*
- Salt & pepper to taste
* Replace noodles with homemade Knedliky (Czech dumplings)...get recipe here.
Note: Depending on the amount of chicken you have, you may need to make adjustments to the ingredients. A lot of this depends on personal taste. You can also adjust the thickness of the gravy by using more or less chicken broth. Don't use too much water as this will dilute the flavor. If you don't have chicken broth and have to use water, add in a couple of chicken bullion cubes. For a little color, try adding in a couple of chopped green onions with the chicken.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the onion slices
- Add in salt and pepper while onions are cooking
- Add in chicken broth and water, bring to low boil
- Add in noodles - cover and cook until tender. Careful not to boil over. If needed add a little more water or broth. When you finish here, you want the noodles still slightly covered with the liquid. If using skip to next step.
- When noodles are fork tender, reduce heat and remove 1 cup of liquid and set aside. Liquid will probably now be below the noodles - that's OK.
- Add condensed cream of chicken soup to saucepan and stir
- Add gravy mix to 1 cup of liquid that has been set aside, mix well and pour into the saucepan with noodles, stir until well blended. This will thicken the gravy. If the gravy is too thick, add a little water at a time until you get the thickness you want.
- Add chicken and cook for an additions 2-3 minutes, or until everything is heated. If using homemade knedliky, add now.
- Adjust seasonings to taste
For All Your Cooking Needs
- Cake Pans
- Cake Decorating
- Utensils & Gadgets
- Party Supplies
- Helpful Links