Bookmark This Page
Return Home PageMail to Friend
Low-Fat Fettuccini Alfredo
This is one of my favorite recipes from the Healthy Homestyle Cookbook ... available from Amazon for under $10.00. This recipe cuts the calories per serving by about 50% and cuts the fat content from 44g (traditional) to 13g (healthy style).
And, if you're watching your cholesterol, an original recipe would typically have around 139mg of cholesterol, while this recipe only has 35mg. Best part, it tastes just as good as the 'richer ingredient' version.
- 12 Ounces fettuccine
- 1 Cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 Cup half-and-half
- 2 Tablespoons butter (cut these into small pieces)
- 1-1/2 Cups grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons snipped fresh chives (green onions work well if you don't have chives)
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- In the meantime, in a medium sized saucepan heat the milk, half-and-half and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted and the liquid is hot (not boiling).
- Gradually stir in 1-1/4 cups of the Parmesan cheese. Continue to cook (and continue stirring) until the cheese has melted.
- To this mixture add the cooked and drained pasta. Toss until well coated.
- Serve by sprinkling some of the remaining Parmesan cheese over the top along with some chives to garnish. (Serves 6)
For All Your Cooking Needs
- Cake Pans
- Cake Decorating
- Utensils & Gadgets
- Party Supplies
- Helpful Links