Bookmark This Page
Mail to Friend
Old-Fashioned Sponge 'Jelly-Roll' Cake
Make this recipe and then fill with fresh berries, jelly,
custard or ice cream
- 1 cup regular flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, almond OR lemon extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat eggs well.
- Gradually fold sugar into beaten eggs.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, then fold into egg/sugar mixture.
- Add extract flavoring & beat well.
- Add hot milk.
- Pour batter into an 8" x 12" greased pan that has been lined with parchment paper. (Wax paper works if you don't have parchment paper.)
- Bake about 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- invert baked cake on cloth sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Remove paper and trim the cake edges.
Cut in slices and serve with powdered sugar, sugar glaze or whipped cream.
Note: A quick, fresh fruit filling can be made with 1 pint berries and 1/2 cup sugar. Just wash the berries, add the sugar and place in the refrigerator before making the sponge cake.
- For serving immediately with fresh fruit: Spread with filling and roll up for a jelly roll using the cloth to hold cake in place.
- For serving later with fresh fruit: Do not spread with filling but loosely roll up. When ready to serve, carefully unroll cake, spread filling and re-roll.
- For serving with other fillings: Spread filling, carefully roll using the cloth, and refrigerate or freeze.
For All Your Cooking Needs
- Cake Pans
- Cake Decorating
- Utensils & Gadgets
- Party Supplies
- Helpful Links