Bookmark This Page
Return Home PageMail to Friend
Sugar Free Apple Strudel
- 1 Package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry
- 5-6 Medium sized apples (Granny Smith are good)
- 2 Teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/3 Cup Splenda®
- 1/3 Cup brown sugar (optional) (Leave out for a totally no-sugar-added strudel)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup raisins*
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons corn starch
* For added flavor, soak raisins in 1/4 cup Amaretto for 30 minutes before adding to apples. Drain and discard liquid after soaking. Set raisins aside.
- Let pastry defrost according to box directions
- Peel and thinly slice apples into a large bowl
- Mix lemon juice over apples while peeling to keep them from discoloring
- To apple slices add raisins and mix together
- Add Splenda (and brown sugar if using), cinnamon, and corn starch
- Mix all ingredients together until apple slices and raisins are coated
- On floured pastry sheet or waxed paper, roll out a sheet of the pastry dough to approx. 10" x 12"
- Place half of the apple mixture on the lower 2/3 of the rolled out pastry sheet so that the top 1/3 doesn't have anything on it
- Spread the filling to within approximately 3/4" of the outside edges
- Continue to roll the dough with the fruit filling until it is completely rolled with seam side down. Seal the ends by folding under about 1/2 inch and then pinch or crimp to set the seal. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Repeat this procedure for the second sheet of pastry dough and remaining half of apple mixture.
- Cut 4-5 diagonal slits in the tops of the strudels to allow for venting.
- Brush strudel tops with a mixture of 1 egg and 1/3 cup water mixed well. This will give them a golden brown color.
- Bake at 350-375 degrees for approx. 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
Frost by dusting with powered sugar made from Splenda® or make a sugar-glaze using the Splenda® powdered sugar.
Splenda® Powdered Sugar
Splenda® Sugar Glaze
For All Your Cooking Needs
- Cake Pans
- Cake Decorating
- Utensils & Gadgets
- Party Supplies
- Helpful Links